Pages

Thursday, October 1, 2009

"Large Arachnid" Bugs the Pope

Apparently this is a big deal in the secular media - at least radio stations according to Jeff.





OK, first of all that is not a "large arachnid". I have bigger spiders in my house! Yes they creep me out, and I don't like to run across them, but seriously people, lets not take the exaggeration too far!

I can't decide if the distraction made it so very few listened to the speech, or if overall more people will hear the message because of the publicity. What I heard of Benedict XVI's talk sounded interesting, and it is sad that people (myself included!) can be so easily distracted. I suppose that would be an argument in favor of the spider being there for bad reasons. Having a budding entomologist, I am aware that there are actually very few poisonous spiders in any given area, and the spiders want nothing more than to be left alone, so the chances that the Pope was in any kind of danger were very slim.

I went on to read the comments, and the number of anti-Catholic and anti-Pope sentiments was not surprising, but the one person claiming to be Catholic who commented that Catholics worship the Pope kinda got to me. I wish Catholics knew their faith better, but I suppose trying to stand up for your faith when it is criticized is better than saying nothing...well, maybe not. You know, finding answers to questions like that just isn't very hard, and then you can sound like you know what you are talking about instead of further confusing a group of anti-Catholics.

I do find it interesting that Pope Benedict XVI is looked at with such vehement hatred from Atheists and Secularists. He's doing something right because they feel it necessary to try and tear him down instead of ignoring him!

No comments: